Friday 21 April 2017

The Cats | A Poem



The cats on street corners grin at me
From the kerb,
Their slit-eyes piercing
My chest as I walk past, school bag slung
Over my right shoulder, swinging,
Swinging, with each step crunching
The chewed up pavement under
the rubber of my canvas shoes,
Announcing that yes,
I am here.

The cats’ heads turn like owls’, but
Instead of a hoot they howl out
To the world. In despair?
Or anger? Fear?
Teeth bared and fur pulsating with each
Breath,
Standing over me as I walk.
I only walk.

But they never leave me, never gone,

Eyes on my back, never alone.

-----------------------------

I hope you guys liked this! I haven't posted any of my poetry on here for a while so thought it would be nice to share something newer with you all.

Jemima x



If you liked this post you might like: Je Suis Epuisée | A Poem

No comments

Post a Comment